Colorado Tech Weekly brings you the top 10 technology stories of the past week and the best upcoming local tech events every Monday morning!
That’s a lot of acronyms in my title. Let’s take a moment to define those. DMMF stands for Denver Mini Maker Faire. You can read my review in “More Than Tech at Denver Mini Maker Faire.” DCC stands for Denver Comic Con. You can read my preview of the tech events that were at DCC in “My Colorado Tech Guide to Denver Comic Con.” STEAM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math. It’s an extension of the more normally referenced STEM acronym but, oh man, that A is important.
This was my second year going to DCC. I go for inspiration and motivation and you can find it there in spades. I heard Stan Lee talk about getting shot down when he proposed the idea of a Spider-Man. I heard Adam Wilson talk about Sphero and how it’s cool to work with Star Wars but what he’s really passionate about is helping kids learn. How amazing is that?! I talked with artists, authors and game developers who are doing what they love because they love it. I saw crafts and designs and cosplay costumes and prints that show so much passion, skill and patience! How can you not be inspired?
If you are interested in using Sphero to help kids learn, check out my Sphero SPRK Lightning Lab Cheat Sheet.
If you want to help me do what I love to do, hire me!
Top Colorado Technology News
Denver-based StickyDocs and INDUSTRY team to launch Hop Up [InnovatioNews
Comcast signs big office lease at growing Centennial development [DBJ
Virtual reality is set to take off, says Broomfield’s Level 3 study [DBJ
Denver-based Evolve secures $5.5M as vacation rental market matures [BuiltinColorado
Changes at Westmister’s Lassy Project – Escalation [LassyProject
Denver-based SecureSet launches nation’s first commercial cybersecurity accelerator [SecureSet
Boulder-based concept3D announces launch of atlas3D mapping and interactive platform [InnovatioNews
New tech push by Denver online retailer eBags aims for the connected traveler [DBJ
Top Upcoming Events
Thank you for reading!
If you know of any other good news stories or sources about tech in Colorado or if you have any news stories or opinions of your own about Colorado tech, email me at email@example.com.
You can subscribe to all my posts by email.
Feel free to ‘like’ Colorado Tech Weekly on Facebook!
Visit directly at ColoradoTechWeekly.com
This weekend is Denver Comic Con (DCC)! Woohoo!
DCC is the premier event for all things geek in Colorado. No matter what it is you geek-out about, there’s a good chance you’ll find other people who share your interests there. As much as I like to geek-out about normal geeky things like Stan Lee, some of the cast of Doctor Who, Cary Elwes and Tentacle Kitty, I especially like to geek-out about Colorado technology. So what can you expect if you want to see Colorado Tech at Denver Comic Con?
Tech (and Gaming) Panels
Denver Comic Con made it easy and created a ‘Gaming & Tech’ track for their panels. You can see all the cool ‘Gaming & Tech’ panels here. The ones I am hoping to go to are…
- (Friday 12:15pm-1:05pm in Room 603) – SPRK your passion: Inspiring new ways to learn through robotos! w/Sphero
- (Friday 4pm-4:50pm in room 703) – Create a Simple Vidoe Game in 30 minutes w/ Unity Game Engine – Art Institute
- (Friday 5:15pm-6:05pm in room 703) – How to Design Video Games and Get into the Game Design Field
- (Saturday 12:15pm-1:05pm in room 703) – DIY Tabletop Game Design
- (Saturday 5:15pm-6:05pm in room 703) – Mobile Game Development – Art Institute
- (Sunday 1:30[m-2:20pm in room 703) – How to Start Your Own Droid Build
- (Sunday 4pm-4:50pm in room 703) – Virtual Reality & Interactive Experience, Collaborative Work – Art Instutite
There will also be panels and exhibits in the E.D.G.E. featuring Colorado game developers and makers that are not in the DCC scheduling app so make sure to check in there for cool Colorado tech things. For example, on Saturday, Zhengua “Z” Yang, founder of Boulder-based Serenity Forge and all around good guy, is doing a presentation at 1pm in the 8-bit Lounge that is not listed in the DCC sheduling app.
Colorado Tech Exhibitors
It appears that the exhibitors in the E.D.G.E. are not included in the DCC app. I know that game developers Synaptic Switch and Serenity Forge will be there along with the Denhac maker space but they are not listed in the app so make sure to go check out the E.D.G.E. if you’re going to DCC. The exhibitors that are listed that I’m looking forward to are…
- Aleph Objects, Inc. (because Colorado-made 3D printers)
- Arapahoe Library District (because they are doing cool things for Colorado makers)
- Backflip Studios (because they’re the biggest Colorado game developer)
- RMCAD (because they are hosting a few of the game panels)
- Sphero (because Colorado-made robotic spheres including BB-8)
Other Panels and Exhibitors
I can’t just spend 3 days focusing on Colorado tech. There are tons of other fun things to see. Here is my short list of other things to see at DCC.
- (Friday 10:30am-11:20am in Room 601) NASA – Futurama: Learning Science with Fry and the Gang (because Futurama)
- (Friday 2:15pm-3pm at the Xfinity Stage) Meet the Actors Behind the Voices (because voice actors seem like really cool people. Just watch “I Know That Voice” on Netflix)
- (Saturday 10:45am-11:30am at the Bellco Theater) Ladies of Doctor Who w/ Alex Kingston and Jenna Coleman (because its Doctor Who. Also Jenna Coleman is cute)
- (Saturday 1:30pm-2:15pm at the Bellco Theater) Spotlight on Stan Lee (because… well if you can’t figure it out, maybe DCC isn’t for you)
- (Saturday 2:45pm-3:35pm in room 502/503) Steampunk: Beyond Gears and Cogs (because Steampunk is cool in a very un-cool way)
- (Saturday 4pm-4:45pm at the Bellco Theater) Spotlight on Cary Elwes (because Princess Bride)
- (Saturday 11am-11:45am at the Bellco Theater) Star Trek 50th Anniversary Celebration (because my daughter shows early signs of being a trekkie)
- (Sunday 1pm-1:50pm in Room 402) Let’s Draw! Workshop w/ Terryl Whitlatch & Copic Markers (Because I like to draw and want to be better at it)
- (Sunday 1:30pm-2:20pm) The Best Writing Advice I was Ever Given (because I like to write and I want to be better at it)
- Jay Peteranetz (because he did the art on the DCC passes)
- Red Tempest Studios (because mobile apps + comics sounds cool)
- Rothic (because I really like looking at their comics)
- Tabletop Fables (because tabletop gaming is cool)
- TeeTurtle (because they have cute/fun shirts)
- Tentacle Kitty (because Ninja Kitty is now household lore)
- The 1UP Arcarde Bar (because pinball)
For more information about all things Denver Comic Con, go to denvercomiccon.com. If you’re there, send me a tweet on teh Twitterz. I hope to see you there!