Colorado Tech Weekly brings you the top 10 information technology stories of the past week and the best upcoming local events every Monday morning!
Anyone who has written a blog as a hobby knows how easy it is to promise ourselves big things, then fail to deliver. Most of the time no one else knows about these disappointments except the authors themselves, but they’re still there. CTW #10 is a milestone for me. 10 weekly posts equals over 2 months of consistency! Woohoo! I’m going to pat myself on the back a little.
September is shaping up to be lots of fun. Locally we have the Colorado Technology Association’s annual APEX Conference followed closely by Denver Startup Week. Nationally, we have Apple unveiling a new iPhone and Samsung more than likely giving us a view of the first big name smart watch with the Galaxy Gear.
- Denver, Boulder, Ft. Collins-Louisville, and Colorado Springs make up 4 of the top 10 Metro Areas for High-Tech Startup Density [InnovatioNews]
- Colorado’s tech job growth is the 8th largest in the country. New Jersey is #1, but it’s… you know… New Jersey [TechKnowBytes]
- Colorado on pace to set record for exports thanks to electronic products, machinery, chemicals and frozen beef. Also: Thank you Canada! [CTA]
- The schedule for the biggest Denver Startup Week EVER is out. The 2nd Denver Startup Week will be September 16-21 [DBJ]
- Englewood-based PlayerLync, app provider for the Denver Broncos, receives a $10.5M vote of confidence from local billionaire Philip Anschutz [DBJ]
- Apple will announce new iPhone on September 10 [TechCrunch]
- Windows 8.1 to be released on October 18 at 5:00am MT exactly. Please hold all complaints until 5:01am [Engadget]
- Ubi Interactive turns any surface into a touch screen with a Kinect [TheVerge]
- Samsung may unveil the Galaxy Gear smart watch in September [Engadget]
- 8/21 – Galvanize – 1MillionCups
- 8/21 – Boulder/Denver BigData Meetup – Hadoop Moving to Main Stream
- 8/21 – CTA – Modern Data Protection in a Virtualized World
- 8/21 – CTA – Women in Tech Forum: Board Bound and Beyond
- 8/22 – BDNT – CoFoundersLab
- 8/22 – Built in Denver – TedxBoulder Beta
- 8/23 – CTA – Convercent Summer Happy Hours
- 8/23 – Built in Denver – Big Data Colorado Hawaiian BBQ Pool Party
- 8/26 – Built in Denver – Crowdfunding Investing is Legal- Well Almost
- 8/27 – Galvanize – Code for Communities Civic Hack Night
- 8/27 – CTA – Gov in Tech Series: Mobile Technology with Verizon – It Has to Work!
- 8/27 – CTA – Member Meet Up with CTA Board Member John Oechsle, President and CEO, Swiftpage
Thank you for reading!
If you know of any other good news stories or sources about tech in Colorado, please let me know! Also if you attend any of the events listed, I would love to hear from you!