Colorado Tech Weekly brings you the top 10 technology stories of the past week and the best upcoming local tech events every Monday morning!
Two of this week’s national stories have to do with supporting students who want to become software developers. As one of those students it brings up the internal (eternal?) argument between traditional and non-traditional education programs. I got burned by a non-traditional school which is why I’ve decided to go back to a more well-established school in Regis University. That is not to say I am against non-traditional programs such as the DaVinci Coders program in Louisville and gSchool at Galvanize in Denver, but if you’re considering jumping into the software development field it’s something you should spend some time considering.
- Denver Regional Council of Governments (DRCOG), Way to Go unveil first-of-its-kind trip planning tool [YourHub]
- Denver app maker Welltok raises $22 million, featuring first investment from IBM’s Watson Group [TechKnowBytes]
- Boulder-based Rapt Media releases Site Pairing technology to transform customer online media experience [InnovatioNews]
- Evergreen-based Wowza launches Wowza Streaming Engine software to improve performance [InnovatioNews]
- Colorado Technology Association elects Molly Rauzi as its 2014 board chair [InnovatioNews]
- Boulder’s RoundPegg selects Kevin Grauman as its new CEO [InnovatioNews]
- Level 3 CEO addresses NSA spying revelations, impact on business [DBJ]
- FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler says next move on net neutrality will come soon [TechKnowBytes]
- How Facebook’s Open Academy helps students to become better software engineers [TheNextWeb]
- GitHub introduces new discounts to support student coders [VentureBeat]
- 2/19 – The Denver .NET Meetup – The Value of Test Driven Development
- 2/19 – KidsTek – 2014 Tech Leaders Dinner
- 2/19 – Front Range PHP User Group – Scaling websites and Building APIs with Apigility
- 2/19 – Boulder/Denver Big Data – Learn how Netflix uses Cassandra
- 2/20 – Rocking MODX in Denver – MODX Next And Premium Extras: The Inside Scoop
- 2/20 – Ignite Denver – Ignite Denver 16
- 2/20 – BDNT – New Tech Denver Meetup
- 2/20 – GTRI – The Benefits of Advanced Collaboration
- 2/20 – RMIMA – The ROI of Green Technology
- 2/21 – Denver iOS meetup – Dave Batton: Developing Professional Quality iOS Interfaces
- 2/21 – CIGDA – Game Programing From Scratch
- 2/25 – CTA – Gov in Tech: Big Data – Opening New Possibilities
- 2/25 – BoulderTechJobs – Boulder Tech Job Fair
- 2/25 – Boulder iOS meetup – February meetup
- 2/25 – Rocky Mountain AngularJS – Introduction to AngularFire and Firebase
Thank you for reading!
If you know of any other good news stories or sources about tech in Colorado, please let me know! Also if you attend any of the events listed, I would love to hear from you!