Colorado Tech Weekly brings you the top 10 technology stories of the past week and the best upcoming local tech events every Monday morning!
Last week I had 2 job interviews. I pored over company information, bookmarked Pluralsight courses to show initiative in learning their tech stack, only to be bewildered by value-based questions like “What motivates you?” It’s a simple question but it’s really easy to overthink the answer in a job interview. On the plus side I have at least one follow up interview already scheduled so fingers are crossed!
Tomorrow is ELECTION DAY! I know you’re wondering why I typed that in all caps and made it bold, but if you really want to have a voice in your community, vote in local elections. Government works best when its community is involved in how it operates so GO VOTE!
I highlighted the story about the rural-urban divide in broadband service because I’d really like us to fix this. I dream of being a remote/freelance developer living in a small town in the mountains, enjoying small town life while helping to build cool things. Let’s make this happen!
Have a great week!
Top Colorado Technology News
- Silicon Valley company, Ampex Data Systems, plans to add up to 30 jobs next month in Colorado Springs [CSGazette]
- Lawmakers have tried to address the rural-urban inequality when it comes to broadband internet service [GJSentinel]
- Niwot-based SparkFun gets weird for Halloween 2017! [Sparkfun]
- It’s official: Broomfield’s Level 3 Communications is now CenturyLink [DenverPost]
- UpCurve buys Denver-based Closely to boost ThriveHive’s marketing tech offerings [Xconomy]
- Report shows growing tech presence in Colorado Springs [CSBJ]
- Denver’s SendGrid plans to sell its shares publicly starting at $13.50 each [DenverPost]
- Boulder-based TeamSnap: Record Q3 saw 150K new teams signed to manage schedules [InnovatioNews]
- Photos and their maker from Maker Faire Denver [DenverMakerFaire]
- Campaign against Fort Collins internet plan spends $451,000 [DenverPost]
Top Upcoming Events
- 11/8 – Boulder Ruby Group – “Strangulation Techniques for Rails” and “What is Amazon Machine Learning and how can it work for you?”
- 11/8 – CTA – Apex Awards
- 11/8 – Denver R User Group – Webscraping in R/ Accessing databases
- 11/8 – Full Stack Meetup – PostgreSQL Deep Dive
- 11/9 – Colorado CSA – 2017 Colorado CSA Fall Summit
- 11/9 – Turing School – Demo Night: Student Projects
- 11/14 – Denver.rb – Ruby Magic
- 11/14 – Learn To Code Boulder – Intro to SQL and Querying Data
- 11/14 – ReactJS Denver – Offline-first Applications with Redux, GraphQL and Service Workers by Nick Stevens
Thank you for reading!
If you know of any other good news stories or sources about tech in Colorado or if you have any news stories or opinions of your own about Colorado tech, email me at COTechWeekly@Gmail.com.
You can subscribe to all my posts by email.
Feel free to ‘like’ Colorado Tech Weekly on Facebook!
Visit directly at ColoradoTechWeekly.com